Friends

So, I'm sat here waiting for Mr G to get up, poor sod is absolutely buggered after his two 12 hour shifts. We need to go food shopping, the cupboard is bare, and I'm that hungry, that I'm eating sugar free mints in a bid to stop myself from attacking the snack box :-) I've been such a crap housewife lately, honestly, I'd divorce me if I could. But hey, I've got minty fresh breath!

Mr G lost a friend yesterday to Covid-19 and he was naturally quite upset. This is it - we knew it would happen sooner or later - it's finally hit too close to home for comfort. And it makes you bloody think, you know? I'm feeling quite melancholy now. I'm thinking about friends. Old friends, new friends, friends I've lost from my life, friends I'd like to have back in my life, friends who have passed away. It's wondering whether you should reach out to people (I mean, what better time than mid-pandemic to reach out and say 'Hey! I know you hate me but just checking in to see if you're still alive!') or if it's too late to resolve things.

It's fear of rejection versus the fear of, what happens if I catch it and die? Or they do? Is the fear of rejection worse than something happening to them and the guilt of never trying to make amends? I don't know.

But in saying that, everyone knows where I am, too. It's just as easy for them to reach out to me first if they wanted to extend an olive branch.

And yep, Venus is retrograde and Mercury is just about to go in 8 days time. I always get like this around this time. It always gets my emotions and my electronics.

Anyways. Speaking of current, lovely friends, this is what my lovely NHS friend sent me in the post. She does have a name but I try not to refer to my friends by name here. They usually get an initial, nickname or an occupation, because I'd need permission to use their names every time I posted and I can't be bothered.


Isn't that lovely? Hope. I think I need to get me some of that from somewhere...

So, is there a cure for melancholy? Years ago I would have said wine, lots of wine, but I'm too old for the hangovers now. Creme Eggs, maybe...?  Maybe I just need some sleep, I'm running on about two hours myself today, I just couldn't catch my sleep last night, and there's an errant seagull on the street that's screeching all night long (or as my youngest said yesterday morning 'Did you hear that bloody seagull barking all night, I didn't get a wink of sleep').

Mr G has promised to join me in the kitchen tomorrow for a batch cooking session. Between us, the budding but cautious cook, and the shit housewife, we might make one semi-decent cook between the two of us, eh?

Comments