21 Years *Trigger warning - sick bucket*

Twenty one years ago, I met the love of my life. I didn't know that night that he was going to be the love of my life, I didn't know that night that he would propose to me less than four months later, I didn't know that night that he would end up giving me three more beautiful children.

When we were young and had no greys...

I've told the story before as to how the stars aligned for us that night. So many decisions made and occurrences in both our lives before we ever knew the other existed, and one decision taken differently and we would never have met. Or at the very least, we wouldn't have had cause to speak that night.

So much lilac. Too much. Way too much. Like, holy lilac shitballs...

A few seconds previously while he was making his vows, he cried. He choked his vows out. He cried, and I laughed at him :-) But I love this photograph, I love the look of sheer happiness on our faces. I was expecting our second child, having lost our first nearly two years previously, and I had just married my happy ever after. Truly the happiest day of my life.

And it hasn't all been sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. There really has been some heartache experienced over the last twenty one years, we've lost loved ones and friends, been to far too many funerals together, we've hit hard times, financially and our health. But our relationship is the one thing that has never strained. I can count on one hand how many times we've argued, and although some people say that it's not healthy not to argue, if you're compatible, then you're compatible. We're hardly going to start looking for things to argue about, are we? I think the fact that we're celebrating twenty one years says that in some cases, it's very healthy. When he's needed me to be the strong one, I've stepped in and run the show. When I've needed him to be the strong one, he's been my rock. And he has been my rock, too.

Canary Wharf 2008. The morning after the Kylie concert before...

We've had so many wonderful times away. We've stayed at the Hilton in Executive Suites and we've stayed at a hostel in a room that had a moppable floors (my bad - never a good sign when your room doesn't have a carpet, is it?) and even a theological college in Manchester one time (don't ask). We have glamped and we have camped. We've hired old converted mills and stayed in penthouse apartments, and many different Premier Inns. We've had family holidays, and we've had romantic weekends away, and we've had mucky overnighters.

We've seen so many wonderful artists in concert, we've enjoyed rugby matches together, which has become a mutual passion. He became my partner in crime in my weight loss and matched me step for step.

Older, wiser, greyer

I know that I mock him mercilessly on here, about how spoiled he is (which he is, don't get me wrong) but the truth is, I'm just as spoiled, because I am hard work (I know, I know, hard to believe, right?) and he indulges me in anything that I want to do, even if it's harebrained, even if, chances are it won't last or I'm going to lose interest. He always has been and remains my biggest champion, and I his.

He gets dafter the older that he gets, and he makes me belly laugh every single day, as can be seen in the Family WTF tab on the home page. Yesterday's gem was this:

Mr G: Robin in the tree.

Me: Huh?

Mr G: Robin. In the tree.

Me: Oh. You want to hear something really stupid?

Mr G: Go on.

Me: I always thought robins were like... seasonal?

Mr G stares at me and I think 'wait for it, here comes the mocking'...

Mr G: To be honest with you, so did I.

Me: Thank God it's not just me.

Mr G: Probably because they're on Christmas cards.

Me: Yeah.

Mr G: Although, it could be a sunburned sparrow...

That's what he said folks, that's what he said.

So, here's to the next 21 years, Mr G. I hope you've enjoyed this little tribute and trip down memory lane. I'm trying not to think about the fact that in another 21 years I'll be in my mid sixties and you will be one year off your 80th birthday because quite frankly that scares me. You'll probably still be trying to impregnate me, knowing you. Here's to more love, laughter, no more children, more nights away, more meals out and more happy memories made.


Happy anniversary Mr G, love you lots!

Comments