Treborth Walk

I had such a lovely day yesterday with my partner in crime. One of those unexpectedly brilliant days, where you haven't put much thought into it and expect very little. Despite not feeling too good, he put on his walking boots, made a small flask of coffee, filled a little rucksack with our lunch, and we took off for Treborth, via Church Island and the prom (so I could get some Poke balls along the way - shut up, I'm not sad). 

It's unbelievable to think that in the 20 years that Mr G has lived here, that I've never brought him here. Casting my own mind back, it's probably about 30 years since I last came here. I have memories of walking here on Sundays with my cousin and friends when I was about fourteen, with a packed lunch from Mum. As we arrived, we bumped into our children's old health visitor and had a socially distanced chat, which was lovely. 

This is Mr G and the Lucombe Oak. Look how big it is. I couldn't fit the whole tree and Mr G in the shot. 

We walked a little further on, and came to a little waterfall and bench. We would sit here on our return leg and eat our light lunch before making tracks back home. 

A little further on there was the Treborth Peace Statue, which is a statue of Sri Chinmoy. 


There is a challenge to walk, run or cycle from this one to the Peace Statue in Llanberis, which is ten miles away and then take a selfie at each end. Maybe that's one for when we're a bit fitter!


Mr G found a little shelter...

... and then had a poo in it. No, I jest, he didn't. 

Honest.

We carried on along the path towards the Britannia Bridge. I'd never been this far along, nor seen the bridge from this vantage point before. 


There he goes, like lightning ahead of me, with his little backpack. My cousin has affectionately christened him Dora, because once he's got one on - he's off. In most every walk, there's a photo of him and his rucksack miles ahead of me. 

I know I said yesterday that there was only so many photos of the bridges I could post, but actually, I've never had any of this bridge, from this vantage point anyway.

We walked up to see the Britannia Bridge Lion...


... then down to a little viewing platform thing overlooking the island and the Straits.


The statue over on our side of the island is Lord Nelson's statue, where Mr G proposed to me back in 1999. He dropped my engagement ring down the rocks. He found it, thankfully, although, if he'd proposed with a ring pop, I'd have still said yes. When it's right, it's right. 


We walked back, exploring the little paths that we hadn't taken on our way down.



We made our way back to the little waterfall and bench and had our beef and onion roll, and Mr G had his flask of coffee. It was so peaceful there, just listening to the water. I think this could definitely become one of my favourite places to just come and walk and zone out. 

I definitely want to do the walk on our side of the island again too, walking the coastal path towards the Britannia Bridge lion on the Anglesey side. We did that when the children were smaller, took a packed lunch with us, there was a little hide that we sat in to eat. Maybe one for next week?


On the way home, we bumped into one of our son's old primary school teachers, off on a walk of her own. We told her where we had been, and she said that there are footpaths now open from Treborth onto the Faenol estate, and that you can walk all the way to Felinheli. So, that's another one for the walking list. Once home, we uploaded our walk to Strava, had a coffee and then, inexplicably, I decided to take the first of a two further walks on the treadmill. It was just one of those days that I could have carried on indefinitely. So, my step count for yesterday was an impressive (for me)...


Don't think I could do that every day, but once or twice a week would definitely help matters!


Tea last night was Chinese takeaway style beef curry with rice with a handful of McCain's Naked oven chips - which were really nice for oven chips, they cooked really evenly for a wonder. We decided that the prawn dish we fancied was the pasta one that I used to make with white wine, cream, spring onions, tomatoes and cayenne pepper. I will have to find a way to lighten the syns somewhat, probably use some low fat creme fraiche instead of the double cream, and a lower % ABV wine. A nice slice of reduced fat garlic bread to dip into it too, and that's us for tonight. I'm actually really looking forward to it, it used to be one of our favourites, back in the day.

Not sure what the walking plan is for today, poor Mr G was up and sleeping on the sofa before midnight last night. My left leg doesn't belong to me, and I'm not sure whether to push on through it today, or to rest up in preparation for tomorrow. Time will tell. 


Comments