5.5

Well folks, it's been a funny old day. It's put some rain down here since Sunday, we were so blessed to have such a beautiful, hot, dry day on Saturday. But now, it's back to autumn weather. I was awake at five this morning, it was pitch black and the first thing I had to do was put the heating on. Then, come this afternoon Mr G was out with our daughter, sat outside the pub, 21 degrees and beaming sunshine, while she bought her father a pint. 

Slimming World, ye Gods. Five and a half pounds on. I shit you not. I didn't even do that at Christmas. Mr G put two pounds on. But I wasn't bothered in the slightest, I enjoyed myself, our daughter enjoyed herself and it was a good day, probably the best day we've had since the pandemic hit. I even commented to Mr G that it felt normal, I think I actually forgot what we were slap bang in the middle of. 

So, back on it this week. I need to do a food shop tomorrow though, the freezer is down to the bare bones of - garlic bread, Black Jack ice lollies, a pack of veggie fingers, a freezer bag of mystery meat, two meat and potato pies and a pack of filo pastry. I think even Jesus would struggle with that. 

Tea tonight was a batch cooked Shredded Beef Chilli with rice. Lunch was homemade Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper soup, and for breakfast I made us both a bacon and mushroom toastie. 


Mr G finished his shifts this morning, and I think we're going to take a few days out to just chill. We did so much last week in the lead up to the party. Cleaning, clearing, gardening, cooking, decluttering. My body feels like it has been put through a mangle. My left hand side is refusing point blank to work, a combination of my fall, sciatica and what I suspect may be the start of arthritis in my knee. Old age, y'all. I think you can be so focused on a project, occasion or task, that you push yourself to the limit, and once it's all over, once you relax, it hits you physically (or in some cases mentally). 

My son receives his GCSE grades this week. God knows how that's going to play out, but I feel better knowing that they are going to be teacher assessed and not using this flawed algorithm that the government favoured (the one that seemed to benefit the more privileged children - fancy that, eh!). He may not be pulling in straight A's, but he has never been in trouble once at school, he has a 100% attendance record. Things like that really should hold some sway for a child's future education. To me, it shows willing. Good behaviour. Commitment. A willingness to learn. Time will tell, I guess. 

I won't surmise about what could happen. I won't dwell on the worst case scenario, nor the best, because we don't know what avenues will be open or available right now. Everything is so muddled, and they will have to give 2020's pupils a little bit more leeway than their predecessors had - and not just the ones who should have been taking exams. My youngest, for example, would have started his GCSE courses in school in May, when his brother would have been taking his GCSEs and then leaving. So, he has missed two months of his GCSE courses as well. The ones in year 10 have missed four months of their courses. The ones in year 12. And God only knows what will happen in September. Even if they do go back to school as normal, how long can/will that last if/when we get a second wave? And after speaking to friends who work in the NHS, it is when we get it, not if.   

It will all work itself out in the end, I guess. I always maintain that health is more important than anything else, it's always been a bit of a bone of contention between myself and the school. As I told them once, years back, you can't study if you're dead. Therefore, as important as education is, health will always trump it. I'd sooner us all come out of this unscathed with no qualifications. 

I nearly got on my soapbox earlier when I saw this headline come up on my phone. I was about to turn into a proper boomer and start ranting. And then I saw that the WHO has said that people in their 40s are spreading the virus without having symptoms. I am, according to the World Health Organization, younger people! Woop!


You're not, Mr G. Sorry...

Hay House have a half price sale on card decks. I haven't bought any. Yet. Just saying. Hay House have a half price sale on card decks. Until the 21st August. Watch this space ;-)

Comments