Scotch Eggs

Well. The highlight of my day was making Scotch Eggs. I managed to excel myself though, by taking a power nap while still morning, must have been around 10 am. I'd only been up since half seven, but I've been having terrible sleep lately. Was gently woken up by Mr G around noon, with a coffee. I didn't know who or where I was and have been meandering around the place in a state of perpetual confusion all day. Kind of like Father Dougal from Father Ted. 


The scotch eggs. I used a 500g pack of 5% pork mince. I added half a teaspoon each of: fine sea salt, dried sage, onion granules, and then a good sprinkling of ground black pepper. Blitzed this in the food processor until it was more sausage meat like. For the coating, I blitzed two packs of Frazzles to fine crumb and pressed the formed scotch eggs into them. Spray of Fry light and into the oven for 30 minutes.

They were surprisingly good. I've always shied away from using pork mince for scotch eggs, because I couldn't imagine how they would taste like scotch eggs. To me, pork mince has a very distinct taste - and as much as I like it, that taste isn't anything like sausage meat. Nevertheless, with a little seasoning, they were very tasty indeed and very filling. I'd definitely make them again, and they were worth the 1.5 syns per egg (due to the Frazzles). I see people making them 'naked' or with couscous coating, neither one of which I particularly fancied trying. When I used to make scotch eggs in the past, deep fried ones, I used to use sage and onion stuffing mix as a coating. I wasn't sure how this would be as a coating when baked though. These would definitely be a good lunch to take with us to the rugby (if it ever starts back) or on a picnic (if we are ever allowed to leave the house again).

Tonight's tea was meant to be a nice burger salad, but of course, there was a slug in my lettuce and I won't leave the house just to go and buy a lettuce, for God's sake. But it does go to show how we used to take things for granted, doesn't it? I've been meal planning for over a year now, due to being in Slimming World, so I'm used to having a weekly shopping list planned. But I still like to have fresh salad in, or fresh fruit in and would think nothing of just popping to Morrisons or Asda to pick up a top up shop for the weekend. I bought berries the other day for our breakfasts, they'll be gone by tomorrow morning. But I know from experience that if I bought double, even if I refrigerated them, they would be furry and mouldy by the time I came to use them. Same with salad leaves. Fresh food really has a terrible shelf life these days, and nobody has got money to throw food straight into the bin.

Food for the rest of the week... tomorrow! If, and only if I wake up with a little less apathy than today, I shall be making slow cooker almond milk rice pudding for lunch, Slimming World Sausage Rolls for the freezer, possibly some more baked oats, seeing as we have gone through the ones we made the other day like a swarm of locusts and tomorrow's tea is going to be something with salmon. I have a side of salmon in the freezer and Mr G has kindly offered to help me make a dent in it. He's not a salmon lover but he loves me - or as he so marvellously puts it - I make him sick :-) I will try and find some sort of spicy marinade or Asian marinade seeing as I have all the sauces and vinegars and faffy stuff, and maybe do some rice noodles with that. The children can make homemade pizza, or rather the youngest will make everyone homemade pizza. Saturday I will do Garlic and Lime Balti, everyone scrapes their plates clean with that, and on Sunday, Mr G is making his famous meat and potato pie, but we will just have the filling and gravy with veggies. I'll sniff the pastry crust as I pull it from the oven for the kids, but that's as close as I'll be getting to pastry this week. 

Other than that, still feeling pretty meh, still in a lot of pain, still waiting for something exciting to happen... so if anyone has anything exciting to share, anything that will cheer me up, or any exciting ways to get rid of this knee pain that a) don't involve exercise, b) do (preferably) involve alcohol and c) won't get me arrested, feel free to post something in the comments (or, if it does involve me getting arrested - email me - you can find my contact details near Rusty Jesus in the main menu).

Things are going to get better soon, right? RIGHT???

Comments