Spontaneous Sunday?

I wish this weather would make its mind up. This has to be the weirdest summer that I can remember in a long time. The other morning - no word of a lie - it was so cold when I got up that the heating went on. Most of the summer - even the so called 'hottest days on record, like ever!' I was able to navigate with the window open just a crack (wasps...) and no fan. Yesterday, I was dying a death, with both windows open (and the occasional wasp). A few weeks ago, while my parents were in Devon, we had downpours of rain here unlike any I've seen before. I sent my Mum videos on Whatsapp. She replied that she and my father were sat on a beach eating fish and chips. And now? Currently it's foggy.

Anyway. SW eats. On Thursday night we had the obligatory, can't be arsed cooking, fry up. Friday night we had Slimming Eats low syn battered cod (recipe here). And last night, we had the Chicken Saagwalla (recipe here).


As you can see I couldn't be bothered with Balti dishes nor presentation yesterday as it was too hot and I am not feeling 100%. When I made this the other day, I could tell Mr G wasn't impressed. 'It's lacking something' was his response, when he tried it. He wasn't wrong either. I stuck it in the freezer and decided that I would try and remedy it while reheating it.

And thankfully, there was no need. I forgot about the freezer magically transforming nice curries into amazing curries, and meh curries into quite possibly the tastiest curry you've had. That's what it did to this. And it contained 200g of baby leaf spinach too, so really healthy. Oil free and syn free.

Yes, I am the heathen who has baked beans with battered fish...

Bacon, skinny sausage, beans, mushrooms, two poached, two small wholemeal

Anyone who knows me will know that I am not spontaneous. I wish that I was sometimes. Or at least a little more spontaneous. My brother will book a last minute holiday today and be on the plane tomorrow and that makes me cringe. Holidays need at least three months of planning, an itinerary and an extensive checklist. Don't they...?

Anyway. I seem to have inadvertently committed myself to a last minute camping break with the boys and Mr G.

I don't mean glamping, I mean camping. A tent, for the first time in years, because we've left it too late to book a pod. And it dawned on me. A tent means no electricity. And I'm thinking... Kindle. iPod. Speaker. Phone. And that's just me. I have one, very temperamental solar power pack, of which only one charging port works... occasionally... And two teenage boys.

We're also taking the small tent, because Mr G doesn't think he can put the big one up. This means four of us in one sleeping pod. On the floor. In sleeping bags. No beds.

The car also goes in for MOT on Wednesday, so everything hinges on it passing. So, I have to be packed and ready to leave for camping, without even knowing if we have a car. I can't even book it until I get the green light from him when (if) the car passes.

But, anyone who knows me will also know that I thrive on a deadline, and a little bit of pressure. I've got this in the bag. With the assistance of my trusty camping checklists, and a bit of preparation at home before we leave, I can ensure that we have a nice few days away, and that I don't crack and eat junk food. She says.

The reason that I really want to stick to plan over this small break is that Mr G and I have a mucky overnighter planned for the last home game of the season in Wrexham.


Prior to the match I am going to go to Everland and have my fish and chips there for the first time since March. During the match, I am going to let Sam or Mick pour me my first pint of Wrexham lager since March, my first alcohol at all since March. I am going to have a candy floss. Maybe an ice cream from Bob. And then afterwards I am going to go back to The Fat Boar with the players and our friends and have a meal and a few scoops there too. So I can't go off plan too much next week. I need to go camping and come home with ideally a loss, but at best a maintain. How on earth I am going to manage this, I don't know. I really don't. But I'll have a damned good try.

I'm off to make a list.

Comments