Results Day!

Last night we switched things up. Mr G fancied the curry a day early, and as it was relatively simple to make, despite the huge list of ingredients. I dragged him into the kitchen with me and I was barking out orders for spices, with my hand extended, like a surgeon... 'Mustard seeds. Cumin. Fenugreek. Have I got any Ground Cardamom? Forceps. Scalpel...' We work well as a team, especially in the kitchen, it's just a shame that it's not a tad bigger.


Anyway, this was the finished article. Goan Pork Vindaloo served with basmati rice. I used the recipe from the 'Curry Guy: Easy' cookbook, written by the amazing Dan Toombs. I have followed him online for many, many years and his recipes are awesome. He is my go-to guy when I want to cook a great curry. The recipe is also on his website (recipe here) - although the recipe online differs slightly from the one in the book.

Anyway, it was delicious. The first proper curry we'd had since starting SW in April (we did make the SW Tikka Masala once, and I left it. I left food, it was that dire). And best of all - totally syn free (with a little adaptation). Other than Frylight, no oil was used in the making of the curry, and where it called for brown sugar, I used Sukrin Gold sweetener. Where savoury recipes usually call for sugar or sweetener, I tend to leave it out, but with this dish being quite acidic with the red wine vinegar, I figured that it was there for a reason. I also used pork loin steaks, with the fat trimmed. I love using pork shoulder steaks for curries, but it's a case of finding them with more meat than fat. The ones I came across while shopping were more fat than meat, unfortunately.

So - yes, you can make an authentic, delicious, syn free curry on Slimming World. I've also got a Chicken Saagwala to look forward to on Saturday night. I may even attempt some syn free onion bhajis to go with it, I thought that these over on Slimming Eats looked delicious. I will make a huge bowl of raita and then there will be some left over for our Seekh kebabs on Sunday. Lovely!

I will have to lower the amount of curry and rice on my plate to accommodate those though, because I have noticed a huge decrease in the amount I am able to eat? In the past, curry meant; rice, naan bread or paratha to dip, samosas, onion bhajis. There was no way I could have managed anything else with that curry last night.

My daughter received her GCSE results today, she did fabulously well (better than I did!!) and got what she needed to get into college. It doesn't seem like yesterday that I was picking my results up. It's made me feel quite a) old and b) sad. My life has just gone past in a blur. Ah well.

Comments