Saturday Kitchen

I'm only now starting to feel better after my cheat meal on Monday, that really did play havoc with my digestion. I've made sure that I've been extra good though for the rest of the week, especially with our Manchester trip coming up.

I've been online and picked out what I'm going to order from Nando's ahead of time. Up to now, I'm going to take the Butterfly Chicken and remove the skin (not for SW reasons but because I don't like skin/fat on meat anyway, never have) and have that with a mixed leaf salad and Tenderstem broccoli (which is my new favourite vegetable). Sorted. Then, a gluten free breakfast from 'Spoons before we head off home on Monday morning, and that's me having behaved very, very well indeed. See what the scales say on Tuesday morning, at the group we will be visiting for this week.

So, what have we eaten this week?

On Wednesday we had Beefburger Salad.


We eat very little bread these days, and when we do, it's wholemeal. We tend to stick to the WW wraps, wholemeal pitta or wholemeal rolls for our HEB. But there are a few things that I just cannot do with in wholemeal bread, as much as I love it. One of those is a beefburger. I'd sooner do without the roll if it has to be wholemeal. So, as a treat, whenever we have burger, we use a small white roll as our HEB.

Two 5% beef burgers, one in a roll with salad, gherkins and red and white onions fried in Frylight, and the other on a bed of salad (there is a decent sized salad under there, honest! McCain HomeChips Lighter (which we synned), baked beans and extra gherkins. Mr G had one HEA worth of mozzarella melted on his burgers. We eat so well on Slimming World that no meal we have feels particularly 'diet-ish' but this is one that really makes you think you're having something naughty.

On Thursday, the hottest day, we had pork steaks with crushed new potatoes. As you do. I was so hot, sweaty and famished by the end of cooking it that I forgot to take a photograph.


Last night we had the Cock and Bull recipe from the Pinch of Nom cookbook, again, but this time we used pork loin steaks cut into strips and, to be perfectly honest? It was just as good as using steak and chicken. I think this sauce would lend itself to whatever you had at hand. We served this with basmati rice, and can I just point out that the rice is only around the edge of the plate, with the meat and sauce in the middle ;-)

Today's delight is Crack Chicken, taken from the Slimming Eats website. This is another of my current favourite foodie websites. Unlike RecipeTinEats, this one is specifically a slimming website, I think the lady who writes it, Siobhan, follows the Slimming World plan. Either way, her recipes are winners. You can find the recipe here. It was very nice, we served it with basmati rice again and I didn't take a picture of it because it looked nowhere near as pretty as the one on the website.

In other news, I sorted out my spice shelves. Oh yes, I no longer have spice racks, plural. I now have spice shelves. My friend H was giving away some glass shelves and she asked me if I wanted them, before she put them onto Freebay. My first reaction was to refuse, we have little or no room in this house for the things we have anyway, but I said I'd ask Mr G. He asked her for the dimensions and he was pootling around with his tape measure and then he told me they would fit perfectly behind the door in the kitchen. Would they do for anything there?

Would they!




Utilising wasted space and clearing space on my very limited worktops, what's not to love about them?

Off to pack for Manchester :-)

Comments