Recipe - Griddle me this #2 - Potato Cakes

Finally got to the meat wholesaler yesterday to get a sack of decent mashing spuds.  So without further ado... Potato Cakes! 

I won't lie to you, this was one grand scale PITA.  My kitchen was covered in flour, I was covered in flour and potato.  It made me wonder whether it was worth it, or if I should just pay the 60 odd pence to buy a pack in future.  But, it was my first attempt at making them, and they did taste really good.  Maybe with practice I'll get better and less potatoey.


Potato Cakes
1 kg potatoes, peeled, chopped and mashed
Salt to taste
Knob of butter
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

Mash the potatoes with the knob of butter.  Sieve the flour and baking powder into the potato, and mash with a potato masher until the flour is incorporated and the mixture turns doughy.

Flour a chopping board and form parts of the dough into rough circles.  Cut each circle into four even sided pieces, about half a centimetre thick.

Heat up a griddle or a good non stick frying pan, there is no need to grease.  Cook each potato cake for a couple of minutes each side until they are well coloured. 

Delicious served with bacon and eggs (like I will be doing tomorrow hehe).  These can be frozen; freeze first on a large baking sheet then store in an airtight box in the freezer.  To reheat, defrost and pop in the toaster for a couple of minutes. 

Comments