Recipe - Creamy Chicken Tagliatelle

Yesterday, while we were sat meal planning for the week before we went shopping, suddenly Mr G exclaimed 'Ooooooh...' and had a far away look in his eye.  Or it could have just been his normal vacant, empty stare as they both look similar, but no.  In his head, he was rummaging through my culinary past.  Which meant I wasn't getting away with tipping a jar of Ragu over tonights tea.  Meh.

Mr G:  'You know what I really fancy.  Tagliatelle.' 

I rolled my eyes.  I remember, you see, why we stopped buying tagliatelle.  He obviously didn't.  Imagine... a 12 month old.  In a high chair.  Eating creamy tagliatelle.  With her fingers.  Imagine the mess on that little tot.  That's me eating tagliatelle.  I need a bib.

Apparently I used to make a chicken dish with tagliatelle in a creamy sauce.  I don't remember this, we're talking around the time that I was at home all day with a newborn and a 12 month old, so by the time he arrived home from work to relieve me, and I set about making tea, it was generally under the influence of wine.  And lots of it.   So, being the dutiful, willing to please wife I am - *wipes away tears of mirth* - I set to work making him a creamy chicken tagliatelle dish.

This was quick, simple and so delicious.  I know exactly what went into it (no horse!), and yes, it tasted better than a jar!  You can also adjust all the ingredients to give you more or less, depending on how many you want to feed.  More saucy, less saucy, more winey (hurrah!) etc... just keep tasting as you go along.  This was for my husband and I, and our daughter.

Ingredients
Chicken breast - I used four small ones
Mushrooms - I used three large ones, sliced
Spring Onions - three, chopped
Small carton of white wine
Pot of double cream
Sea salt
Ground black pepper
Fresh or dried Tagliatelle - I used 75g each as per the pack instructions

Heat some oil in a frying pan or wok, and cook the chicken until no longer pink.  Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.

I then transferred this into a smaller saucepan and added about 100 ml of white wine, spring onions and a little seasoning.  Bring the mixture to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer slowly.



Cook the pasta in boiling water, mine took 8 minutes.

Keep checking the chicken mixture, adding more wine if necessary.  When the pasta is cooked, drain well and keep covered.

Add the double cream and more wine (if necessary) to the chicken.  Bring to the boil, check seasoning.  Serve over the tagliatelle with garlic bread to dip in!


Usual apologies for the photo and presentation, that aside, this was a really delicious dinner, and one that if you had surprise dinner guests, could feasibly be made in around 30 minutes.

And me?  I may as well have just leaned over my plate and pressed myself into it before eating.  Before Mr G could pass comment on the state of my jumper, I very loudly announced that 'THIS is the reason we don't buy tagliatelle'. Pasta quills next time ;-)

No reprieve for me today either, it seems.  This is what happens when you take a stroll down memory lane.  'You know what else we haven't had for ages?'  So I'm off to root for a certain recipe.  I may be some time... if I'm not seen by 4 pm, send someone in with wine, please.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I think that's the health warning I should come with :-)

      To be honest, if Cait wasn't having any I'd have used the full carton, but it was her first time with winey food so didn't want to go OTT or would have ended up having to cook something else again lol.

      And a big, huge 'HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! My lovely!'

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so if you should stop by, just give a little wave to me and be sure to say 'Hi!' :-)

I know, I know... poetry also not my strong point...