Curried Sausages

When I first saw this recipe I thought 'Hmmm' and Mr G's face was a picture when I mentioned the words sausage and curry in the same breath. I almost expected him to break out into full Peter Kay mode (I love it when he goes all northern on me). But! It works. 

Not a curry in the traditional sense of the word, this is more like a curried sausage casserole. Apparently Curried Sausages is an Australian comfort food, and it comes courtesy of the amazing RecipeTin Eats website. I don't think I have ever cooked anything from that site which has disappointed me. You can find that recipe here because my version is nowhere near as good as following hers would be. Mine has barely any sausage in it, I only had chipolatas and they are 3.5 syns each (how???). I don't use oil, sugar, or extra salt (as I use stock pots and they're really salty!). I have made this in the past with proper, plump, juicy sausages and it is a really filling meal, and definitely one for the cold autumn and winter nights when you're sick of casseroles, stews and shepherd's pie! 

You can make this as mild or spicy as you like, I used Madras curry powder for ours because we like a fair bit of heat. What I really love about RecipeTin Eats is that with a few tweaks, most of her recipes are compatible with the SW plan - even if you have to use a few syns. The main meals are, anyway, there was no way I could have tweaked that strawberry cheesecake I made for my daughter's birthday to fit the plan!

I served this on a bed of mashed potato (mashed with a little skimmed milk) and cabbage, Mr G had peas, and I had sweetcorn. Trying to up our fruit and veggie intake considerably this week. 

I'm taking my wonderful man on a couple of days out this week. He works long and unsociable hours for us all, and his days off are either spent in the house staring at a screen or I'm cracking the whip with all the housework I haven't been able to do in case I disturb his sleep. So, this week it's a huge f**k it to housework, it only needs doing again the next day/week/month, anyway. It's promising a dry and sunny week, so I'm going to pack us both a SW friendly picnic and whisk him off to a couple of places he hasn't been before, but has always wanted to go. They're both outdoorsy type places so we can hopefully socially distance from everyone, plus put a little cash back into local tourism before it goes tits up again. 

Because today's No Shit, Sherlock! is 'pandemic will get worse in autumn'. Thanks WHO. Mr G has noticed that little things at work are preceding both national and devolved government announcements and legislation changes, and I mean well in advance. And true, while a lot of it could be down to foresight or common sense or even a sense of preparedness... I can't help but think that these big businesses are being kept in the know well in advance. Those at the top of the chain. Ahead of us mere oiks. I think that very soon, a day out is going to become a distant memory once again. 

I think Christmas is going to be an absolute nightmare to cater for; can you imagine everyone potentially having to shop their entire Christmas online this year? At the same time? Can you imagine trying to get an online food delivery from a supermarket? I couldn't get one for love nor money in March or April, not even a click and collect. Do you remember ordering something you needed online when we first went into lockdown? And the delays involved because - of course - a lot of places had shut down, or had much reduced staffing levels, plus the increased volume of work on parcel couriers? And while ordinarily I would have got a lot of my Christmas catered for by now, or at least the little fiddly gifts, that hasn't happened this year. I have a shit ton of wrapping paper that I bought in the January sales, and nothing to wrap! 

I think I'm going to buy a frozen turkey the next time I go shopping. Just in case... If I'm wrong or being melodramatic, at least I'll already have my Christmas meat bought, it's not like it'll go to waste. If I'm right, then at least we are guaranteed some sort of a Christmas dinner. Win-win ;-)  

Comments