Cake Day #4

Mr G got Slimmer of the Week in Slimming World today, losing 3.5 lb. I managed to pull a half pound loss out of the bag too, don't ask me how I did that, nor how Mr G lost 3.5 lb, the jammy sod, but I'm so proud of him. And I'm happy because that's two losses on the bounce now. Despite that triple layer caramel cake last week. 

Tonight's tea was homemade meat and potato pie, peas and gravy, followed by one of the homemade apple and sultana crumbles I made yesterday. Mr G had his with low cal custard and I opted for a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

The rest of the week will be on plan and perfect, but like the cake last week, some days just call for comfort food and I think it's best to do it on weigh day. Well, it's best not to do it at all, nor get into the habit of doing it but there we go. If you're going to do it, do it on weigh day, not the night before weigh day. Besides which, Google has been lying to us all day telling us it's 16C - like hell it is, it's bloody Baltic! So today, was a proper home cooked comfort food tea, with the fire on, and the candles lit. It's Fall, y'all ;-) Bliss :-) 

I had to make the pie to Mr G's exacting recipe. Anyone would think he was the main cook in the house, the way he was barking instructions at me before he went up to bed for his sleep. Dice the onion small, add the meat when the potatoes are at a rolling boil, two stock cubes, salt and pepper in with the potatoes. I just nodded and smiled sweetly whilst thinking yeah, piss off, Gordon Ramsey, who's making this? Me, or thee?

The fourth and final birthday, my eldest son turned 25 today, a quarter of a century old. This is the first birthday that I haven't been with him, and it feels weird not being able to see him open his cards, or blow out his candles. I don't care how old he is, he's still my baby. I haven't seen him for seven months and I miss him lots. We were in lockdown, then they were in full blown lockdown in Manchester, and I think we're both of a sensible nature. He could, very easily, have come back here. But as much as I miss him, I wouldn't have been happy with that, with him moving around from one badly infected area, to one not so, and back again. So, we had a nice long chat on the phone about the fuckery that life currently is. Everyone's birthday has been a bit rubbish this year, I suppose. 

Anyway, here's a throwback of him from 1996. I have loads of baby photos of him, but they're all actual photographs! Nothing pre 1996 on my computer. Happy Birthday Dan!

I'm thoroughly stuffed now. Also had enough pie fodder, pastry and filling left to make two extra pies for the freezer. I also need to stop making things for the freezer because my freezers have no room in them currently...

Some lovely skies again tonight, so hopefully the weather will be a bit dryer. Looking at potentially Thursday for our outdoorsy day out this week, it's promising cloudy, slight chance of a rain shower. Fingers crossed for that. 


 

Comments