Happy New Year!

I hope you all had a lovely New Year's Eve and stayed safe. We didn't move from the house, I had a bottle of prosecco watching Jools Holland, Mr G stuck to soft drinks. We let out the old year (off you **** 2020!) let in the New Year and went to bed.

We both woke early this morning, and got our pork in the oven and peeled the veggies before we went out for a nice walk before the darts quarter finals. There were quite a few people out and about, wrapped up, no doubt blowing the cobwebs away from the night before. Here are some photographs from the walk. 

The tide was really high, and there were three swans a swimming (five gold rings...) quite close to the wall. Beautiful birds, they really are. 


We took a stroll around Church Island and went to visit my great grandmother's grave. It was quite chilly on the island itself. 


We plan to go again tomorrow, try and get into a routine of walking to assist with our weight loss efforts this year. I'm going to walk to Bangor on Sunday with my son, catch some Pokemon and really try and get some miles in.

We are back on it 100% as of tomorrow, but we have been making a bit of an effort with our meals over the last couple of days. Even one good choice in a bad day, is better than no good choices. As today, we did have goose fat roasties and a couple of Yorkshire puds with our dinner, and we also had Christmas pudding with a little cream for dessert. 


Last night we had the Dirty Macaroni from the new Pinch of Nom cookbook and it was so, so good. I amended it slightly by adding a few more veggies to it, diced celery and mushrooms, and I also used half the amount of meat, and it was ample. Instead of a cheesy breadcrumb topping, I used a Healthy Extra A portion of mozzarella cheese on top and it worked perfectly. 


Healthy brunch of bacon medallions, baby spinach omelette, mushrooms and tomatoes...



The night before I made us RecipeTin Eats Prawn Mango Avocado Summer Salad. I was just feeling bleugh and craving something light and healthy after the pastry, chocolate and bread laden Christmas. 

I also made the A Chicken's Vindaloo from the new PON book, and that was delicious, the next time I make that I will double up and freeze a portion. 

I haven't got a definitive meal plan set out for this week, but I know that we will be having the Tandoori Salmon with Mango Salsa one night, Beef in Red Wine and Shallots and also Chicken Shawarma is on the list. Trying to reignite my love of cooking while also not cooking exactly the same things over and over again. I've ordered Two Chubby Cubs' new cookbook as well with the money I got for Christmas, so between those two books I should have a fair bit of inspiration and plenty of new, healthy but tasty recipes to cook. 

Comments