Well, the weather outside is frightful...

Sorry, couldn't resist. What a day! It's been blowing a hoolie here all day. I personally love it when it's like this, as long as I can stay in and look out at it. True to form, I had to go out this morning to pay a few bills and get a few bits. Meh.

The day started off on the wrong foot as it was. The youngest asked me if I would wake him up earlier than usual. I normally wake them up by half past seven, as the school is literally only around the corner from us. He asked for a seven o'clock wake up call. So, as I'm settling down in bed, I remember I haven't set my alarm. But have no fear! Mr G finishes work at seven, he'll be home about five, ten past, and he'll come straight up to wake me. Like he does every other morning. Right? Right?

No. Mr G fell asleep on the sofa and didn't wake up until twenty past eight. Cue absolute f***ing bedlam, where two teenage boys both wanted showers and had to be in school within twenty five minutes. Somehow they managed it, but it was my fault for not waking him up when he had specifically asked me to wake him up early. I told him to set his own bloody alarm in future. I don't need to be up at 7 am. Don't get me wrong, I'm very often up at 5 am. But after Christmas, when things get lax, and the occasional lie-in creeps in, it takes some time to get back into a routine.

Then, the daughter wanted a lift to college, so we had to wait for her to get ready. We went into town, did our shopping, then when we got home, Mr G had to return his sister's phone call. It was probably about half past twelve when he finally got to bed, poor bugger. So, with instructions to 'leave me until I wake up' - I am sat here, half starved, waiting for him.

So, in the absence of any food tonight, this is what we had to eat last night. Ta-daaah!


I don't know what you'd call it, I'm calling it a Shepherd's Pie, for ease. I'm making a concerted effort not to waste food. One, because I can't afford it and two, because it's wrong when so many people are going hungry. So, our New Year's meal this year was lamb. And I stripped what little was left on the leg of lamb, and diced it up into small pieces. I added the leftover vegetables that I hadn't dished up, some of the minted lamb gravy, and some frozen leeks.


I froze both this mixture and the surplus gravy because it's a bit of a pain in the arse to keep on making gravy only to use a bit and throw it. I topped the 'pies' with potato and swede mash (using up the last of the swede - good girl!) and served with carrot and swede mash and cauliflower, and the leftover gravy. It was bloody delicious. I said to Mr G that I would make this a 'thing' now, every time we have a Sunday dinner, whether it's chicken, pork, beef, whatever. Make a leftover pie filling from the meat, veg and gravy. Sorted.

Tonight's tea is SW fry up. Bacon, egg, Aldi Skinny Sausage (1 syn for 2), baked beans, mushrooms, HexB toast and Mr G is having a slice of black pudding.

Comments