Christmas Cake

The tree is up, the gifts I've bought so far are wrapped, the puddings are steamed and today, I made my Christmas cake. 


This cake truly is a revelation. It's converted fruit cake haters, and those who can take or leave fruit cake adore it. What's the secret? Dark chocolate. In the past I used to treat myself to a Christmas cookery magazine every December, and this recipe was in an issue one year. These days I rely more on the internet for ideas and inspiration, but I'm so glad I happened upon this recipe. 

The original recipe used rum, if I remember correctly, but I've always used sherry because I like sherry in a Christmas cake, plus I always have sherry in for certain Chinese recipes I make regularly. Some years it's been fed and beautifully decorated. Some years it has been rush-baked in the week before Christmas, and some years we have attacked the cake while it's on a cooling rack, taking chunks of warm cake to have with a coffee. This year, I want it intact, fed, and decorated. 

Ingredients

250g dried mixed fruit 

125g dried prunes, figs or dates, chopped - I used prunes this year

125g dried apricots, chopped

100g glace cherries  

150 ml sherry plus 1 tbsp

Zest and juice of 1 orange

175g dark muscovado sugar 

175g softened butter

4 medium eggs, beaten

125g self-raising flour

1 tsp. mixed spice

½ level tsp cinnamon

100g dark chocolate, grated

100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted (optional)


The evening before...
Put the dried and candied fruit in a pan with the sherry, orange zest and juice. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat, cover and leave to soak overnight.


Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas Mark 2. Grease and line a 20.5cm (8in) cake tin with greaseproof paper. Put the sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer for about 5 minutes until fluffy. 

Add the eggs a little at a time, taking care the mixture doesn't curdle. If it looks as though it might, add a little of the flour. Gently fold the soaked fruit and the remaining ingredients into the mixture. 


Pour into the prepared tin and level the surface.


Wrap a thick layer of brown paper around the tin to prevent the edges of the cake burning. I also cover the top with a circle of greaseproof paper after about an hour or so of baking to stop it catching. Bake for 3-3½ hours until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Keeping it in its greaseproof paper, turn out on to a rack. When cool, wrap in clingfilm and then foil. Store in an airtight container.

After two weeks of maturing, prick the cake all over with a skewer, pour 1 tbsp sherry on top, leave it to soak in, then rewrap as before. The cake will keep for up to three months.

I will decorate it in a fortnight's time, closer to Christmas. The intention is to keep it for Boxing Day where *fanfare* I will be hosting this year's Boxing Day Buffet. Mum threw down the gauntlet last year, bless her, she has done it every year for God knows how long. The kids are getting older now, and not only do they want a seat at the adult table, but they don't really want to leave the comfort of their own home so close to Christmas. So we will be hosting them, have a few beers and gins, have our traditional football bet, lose graciously, and eat some lovely food. The children can be as social or anti-social as they want. Mr G has had his provisional Christmas rota through, which is subject to change, but so far, like last year he is off for Christmas, Eve and Day, and in New Year's Eve, but off New Year's Day. Like last year, I will be off to bed when he goes to work, more than glad to see the back of this year, and be up early, hangover free, prepping another lovely family dinner, with all the bells and whistles. And wine. 

We popped into town the other day, what's left of town, that is. H&M is the latest casualty. And while Peacocks has shut, actual peacocks are roaming around town. 


There's a little pop up shop that has opened up in the Deiniol Centre, an outdoorsy company based in Treborth called Wild Elements, whose work has pretty much ground to a halt with Covid. It was crafty... but unlike a lot of these craft shops, their prices were reasonable. There were all manner of beautiful things in there, Christmassy things, hand made tree decorations, reindeers made from logs. And I fell in love with this Christmas Tree ornament. 


I reached for the price tag, expecting it to be about fifty quid or something ridiculous like that, and it was £15 so I splurged. It's so simple and rustic, but it looks so pretty on my windowsill. 

Next on the agenda, Christmas shopping in Wrexham tomorrow with Mr G, my cousin and my youngest, and then, with the exception of our Christmas food shop, that should be it. All the children are now sorted, thank God, which was my main worry. Even though they're all old enough to know that this year has been - and I heard the best way of describing 2020 in an email I received this morning - a kaleidoscopic shit show... and even though two are adults, they're still my children, and I want to make sure they have some special treats. I've never spoiled them, not only do I not have the money to do so, but even if I did have, I wouldn't have, because there's nothing worse than spoiled children. So I always make sure that they are happy at Christmas. I need little bits and bobs for them that I should be able to pick up tomorrow and anything else will have to be online. I've got a shopping list ready to go, my alarm set for stupid o'clock (so please God let me sleep - still no bed...) and first dibs on the shower. I will be back tomorrow evening with my haul, no doubt!

Comments