Kind of winning...

Adulting went better today than it has done of late, although, I managed to collapse another clothes airer on my head. Thankfully only the small, lightweight one this time.

As promised, the verdict on the Bovril roasties. These were made with the Bovril paste (in the jar similar to Marmite) and not stock cubes. There are SW friendly ones cooked in stock, but these are not them.


I used the same potatoes, cooked in the same way, but they differed in two main ways from the Marmite ones. No, three.

Firstly, these stuck fast to the oven tray, despite using a load of Frylight. I used so much Frylight, it probably would have been less calories using a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Secondly, they didn't crisp up like the Marmite ones did. Thirdly, they tasted amazing, as the Marmite ones did, but without the... I don't know how to explain it. Marmite aftertaste, I guess? I speak as a lover of Marmite, but even I can appreciate that it can be too much at times. So, for texture and a crisp roastie, it's Marmite. For the best tasting roastie, it's Bovril.

I wrapped my Christmas puddings up ready for gifting this morning :-)


I have a few surplus small ones left over, so I may share one with Mr G at some point over the festive period. I really don't want to blow it though. I can't think of anything worse than turning up to group the Monday after Christmas, having put on half a stone. Especially when I think how long it's taken me to lose this last half stone.

It means that some traditions have to be lost or amended, and new ones found to replace them. I'm not buying any sweets for the house, because I know that the children will get (at least) two tubs each. At least. So that's going to be eight tubs of chocolates floating around, all with ones that they don't like, and we do. Mr G has requested a box of Maltesers, and I have set my sights on a Star Bar. Yes, a bloody Star Bar. It's the only chocolate bar that I have coveted since April, and not been able to justify the syns on. I'm going to put it in the fridge, maybe even the freezer, until it's rock hard and takes me an hour to eat :-)

Alcohol. I do like to have a bottle of red while I cook Christmas dinner, and something fizzy for the table to raise a toast. This year is probably going to be a little different though, because Mr G is working Christmas Eve until 7 am on Christmas morning. He will need to have a few hours shut eye before the days festivities begin, so the children will have to delay their gratification until around ten o'clock. Although, that being said, if left to it, three of the four would probably sleep until the afternoon if left. So, our gift opening is going to be late, which means we won't be able to set up the table until much later. We usually like to eat for when Top of the Pops comes on, but Christmas dinner will probably be served in the evening this year.

We also have a family buffet, which Mum puts a lot of effort into, but it's so calorific. Those little pastries and party foods you buy at Christmas. Two or three different homemade desserts. The good thing is there's always a huge plate of turkey and roast gammon, pickles and salads, so I'm hoping to resist temptation there and fill up on free and speed foods. This is also an alcohol free occasion, so I won't be tempted by anyone else drinking around me.

My meal out with the ladies this year, if you booked before a certain date, you got all three courses for the price of two. I've gone for Soup of the Day, Roast Turkey dinner, and Baileys Profiteroles for dessert. There is a method in my madness. Firstly, chances of me eating three courses are slim to none these days. Secondly, having soup for a starter, as opposed to one of the lighter choices, means that the main course should (should!) finish me off. Then hopefully I can distribute the profiteroles around the other eight women there :-)

Christmas Eve traditions. For one, getting hopelessly and horrendously trollied with my friend Denise in the afternoon. Baking Jamie Oliver's Christmas Sausage rolls. Cooking a gammon for tea, with lots of fresh white baps. I'll have to pass on the drinking because Mr G will be in bed and we have a tendency to be a bit loud when we're on the vino. The puff pastry for the sausage rolls is out, so I'll either use filo, or have a trial run with the pizza mix 'pastry'. And the gammon will have to be with a wholemeal roll, and an extra one synned if need be. 

So, all in all, I think I've got a decent plan of action for Christmas. Mr G is also working New Year's Eve, so when he leaves for work, I'll likely go to bed and all being well, be snoring when the New Year comes in. 

NaNo word count currently at 28,236. See if I can churn out another couple of hundred before bed...

Comments