So, today this happened...

It takes a fair bit to render me speechless, but one thing I'm not good at, is accepting praise, or credit, even when I know that it's due. I'm ok with close friends or family, but in large groups, especially peer groups, I like to contribute where I can, but I always think that someone else is more worthy or deserving than I am.

As you'll know, earlier this year I was nominated for Woman of the Year at Slimming World, which in itself was a huge (and very unexpected) honour. Mr G had won Man of the Year a few weeks previously. I didn't win, and I would have felt very uncomfortable had I won, because the other two nominees had done brilliantly, and the ultimate winner had one heck of a story and one heck of a journey to get where she is today, and is a very deserved winner in my book.

Our group leader telephoned us up the other night to tell us that we'd both been nominated for Miss Slinky and Mr Sleek 2019. I was like 'You have met us, Marian, right? I'm nowhere near slinky and he is definitely not sleek...' She agreed that the titles were problematic, and that a lot of members had the same issue with them, but it wasn't about being stick thin or being at target. She read out some of the (anonymous) comments made about us both, alongside our nominations, and they were lovely. That people think that way about us in group was surprising, humbling and gave me the warm and fuzzies. Yes, I know, me!

So, today, not only did we both hit our four and a half stone weight loss - we have both lost exactly the same amount of weight, four stone and seven and a half pounds - but we were voted Miss Slinky and Mr Sleek 2019 for our group. Mind blown. What a morning.


I'm really proud of us both, especially so Mr G, who looks absolutely amazing, and despite starting a new job, has managed to lose weight at the last two weigh ins straight off night shift. Five stone before Christmas looks even more likely now. It only seems like yesterday that we both walked into group that Monday morning in April, morbidly obese, down in the dumps, embarrassed, and the thought of losing this amount of weight seemed unlikely and very daunting. There's still a long way to go, but I'm so much closer to it now than I was in April, and I have so much more faith that I can do it. So, onwards!

Comments