What a Week - Part Three

We got home, and unpacked and I put the washing on and dried everything as quickly as I could. Packed Mr G off to clean the bathroom while I got to work on baking some bits and bobs for the party. I made scones, cheese scones - the future, and this absolutely magnificent work of cake art. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, the Biscoff Cake. 


I used the recipe on Jane's Patisserie website. Oh. My. Days. I bought the wrong Biscoff, I bought the crunchy one as opposed to the smooth, so I just omitted the crumbs in between the layers. This cake is well worth the faff for a special occasion. 

I had bought rice paper cake toppers for the cupcakes, some with the Crusaders badge on and some with Mr G's school photograph on! 



After banishing Mr G to the bedroom with his tablet and the United match, my mother and cousin came up to help me assemble the balloon arch that I'd bought and decorate the house. Seemingly it was nowhere near as elaborate as the picture on the Amazon website, but it still looked really nice when it was done. 



We plastered every window and door in the house with banners and posters with old photographs of Mr G on. 

The lady who makes our family's cakes pulled another beauty out of the bag, he was so thrilled when he saw this. 


"How have you done that?"

Haha! Command hooks and a lot of help. And patience. Which, if anyone knows me, isn't my strong point.


He was well and truly spoiled. He had a lovely England RL top from one son, and Cristiano Ronaldo aftershave from the other. He had money from me and the Rob Burrow book he's been after. Money and a new wallet from my parents, two Wigan tops and boxer shorts from one of his sisters, chocolates and money from my brother. He also had more money and gifts in the evening, including £50 from his work colleagues, which he was absolutely blown away by, he definitely wasn't expecting that. 

But I think his favourite gift of all was his chocolate bars, one each, from the lads.


If I'd known that, his birthday would have been a lot cheaper for me. But, seriously, what a fun novelty gift, and only £2 each on Amazon if you buy your own chocolate bar. Some of them are really near the knuckle.



My Mum also made a lovely coffee cake, and my cousin made her famous Biscoff cheesecake. I had the last piece of that for breakfast on Sunday morning #winning


Blurry selfie before all our guests arrived. 


The 'dessert table' - all the savoury stuff was in the kitchen and I forgot to take a picture. Just the usual sandwiches, sausage rolls, cheese scones, pizza, pork pies etc. 

All in all, a brilliant night spent with friends, family and some of Steve's new workmates. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much, it really was a 'should have put a Tena on' - especially when my mother was on top form insulting me. Like, proper roasting me. Mr G was absolutely blown away by how generous everyone was, and so appreciative of all my hard work to make the week super special for him. So much so that he bought me a bottle of Kylie Rose Prosecco that I had been coveting for ages but am too stingy to pay for, and a beautiful thank you card telling me that I was amazing. Yes. Yes, I am. I can't disagree with him, there. I'll save the Prosecco for Valentine's Day when the plan is to cook us a nice steak dinner. Oh, yeah, that led to this exchange last night when I read a promotional email from the local meat warehouse we use.

Me: Oooh. They've got the Big Daddy 28oz rump steaks in again for £7! Do you think one of those will do for us on Valentine's Day?

Him: Yeah, if you don't mind watching me eat it. 

The sod.  

He didn't get up until 2pm on Sunday. I figured that he'd had a skinful, but no, he'd had three and a half pints. The ruddy lightweight that he is. I'm just so happy that he had a lovely week, everything was perfect, not one thing went wrong, and he was spoiled rotten, as he deserves to be. 

Comments