The Purge

Eeeeee, doesn't that sound like some dodgy horror film? The Purge. The second lockdown flew by so quickly that I'm almost wishing it was back. We finally finished painting our new bedroom and we were sat twiddling our thumbs, surrounded by boxes of our belongings, bags of clothes for the clothes bank, toys for the charity shop, old Halloween outfits that didn't fit anyone. Furniture that no longer had a home. Bags and bags of old paperwork and documents shredded (where does it all come from? I only did it all a couple of year ago? Does it breed?). And of course, nowhere open in which to dispose of any of it. We let our son move into his new bedroom, he was so excited about it that we couldn't deny him any longer. And so, I've been on a single mattress on the floor for the last 11 days, and Mr G has been on the sofa. 

And then, a text, our wardrobes were in stock (weren't meant to be until the 25th of November) and to click to arrange delivery. Mr G said that was ideal really, as he could get them erected (tee hee) before the bed arrived, otherwise it would have been a nightmare trying to put them up. So, they came on Saturday, and with the help of his work colleague (who we have bubbled with as he is single) they are now up, and full of clothes. 


There is an identical wardrobe to the left of where I'm taking the photo from, and the bed will be going where the drum kit (ffs) currently is. The drum kit is (apparently) being sold. We are really impressed with how the chest of drawers turned out, the colour is so similar to the wardrobes. You can see my Live Laugh Love crushed velvet headboard (couldn't resist) ready to go on the bed. The little wicker drawers hold all my tarot and oracle cards. The blackout curtains I bought work absolute wonders. The mirror will be wall mounted where the headboard currently rests.

So, with the exception of the bed, the next few jobs left to do are... tieback hooks for the curtains; I want the wall mounted ones that hold the curtains back. I've seen a gorgeous crystal light fitting, and also a little seat that - if I can create the room in there, I'm getting that too. If it will go in the alcove it will make a lovely little reading nook. A rug. The louvre doors on the cupboard need magnets to close them properly. A small canvas for above the bed, Mr G took a lovely photograph of the bridge the other evening and I'd like to get that done. And a bed runner, possibly in a contrast colour, because it is very grey in there. All in all, a good job done, and it will be lovely when it's completely finished. But more than anything, I cannot wait for that bed, I have coveted a Hypnos bed for years, it's been on my wishlist for years and finally I get to cross it off. 

We don't have so much left to get rid of, we managed to find an open clothes bank. A friend of mine very gratefully took the boxes of toys and books for two children's homes - so they've gone to a good home where a lot of children will have the benefit of them. Another friend has taken the wooden train set and big box of Mega Blocks for her grandsons to have at her house when they come to visit. I've saved the Sylvanian Families for my little great niece. All that remains is a couple of boxes for the charity shop, and a couple of tip runs. Hopefully get one done tomorrow, after Mr G has been to the barber's for a haircut. Bless him, he looks like nobody owns him. He managed to give himself a side parting yesterday, he looked like Jeremy Kyle. I was horrified. He said he might ask for a fade like our youngest had last time. I'm not sure if he was joking or not. 21 years together and I still can't tell sometimes. 

Google Maps rubbed it in today with my monthly highlights...


So, essentially, my month in a nutshell. Card Factory, Iceland and Llechwedd. I don't anticipate that November is going to be any more riveting, to be honest. 

Christmas is frighteningly close. It's going to be an odd one this year. It's going to be a lot leaner than most years, thankfully the children are old enough to understand why (and even more thankfully, the two eldest boys want cash to put towards new computers and the youngest's PS4 is on the blink since last night). The most important thing is that we (hopefully) will all be there, fit, healthy and unscathed by this year's fuckery. That our friends and family are safe and well too in their own homes. It will be a celebration of what is important, because this year has shown only too well that all the money and possessions and power in the world isn't enough to keep you safe. So there will be plenty of food, drink and laughter this year.

I'm looking forward to getting my tree up. I had thought of putting it up on the 22nd of November, which is also Stir up Sunday. Feels fitting somehow, the house is usually cosy (steamy) and smells Christmassy due to the cinnamon and mixed spice. Although, I'd imagine that my Christmas pudding orders are going to be a lot leaner this year. One friend I make them for, usually caters for between ten and fourteen family members. She makes me a beautiful floral display for the dinner table in return. This year it's just her family of four. One good thing is that I'm not going to be stood there all day topping up the steamers because it is time consuming. I was also gifted a steamer from my auntie this year, I don't think she'd ever used it, impulse buy. So, I can have them done in half the time this year.  I'm tempted to ask Mr G if we can put the tree up this weekend, lots of people have after this shitstorm of a year, and I don't blame them. But I fear that we won't be able to get anywhere near the tree or the decorations until we've got rid of a lot of this junk. 

Other news, I'm making very slow progress on this year's NaNoWriMo offering. More like two spin offs of previous work. But as long as I get the 50,000 words in, that's all that matters. 

Comments